Borowice // Poland

13 January 2014

I just finished reading "Call of the Wild" by Guy Grieve, a Scot who felt trapped in his office job and yearned for adventure. He left his family for a year to live in the Interior of Alaska in the solitude of the great forests and temperatures plummeting as low as -60 degrees. His story reminded me of the Polish winters, which I dearly miss.

Don't ask me why, but I love a very cold crispy winter day,  as in when the air is so cold it hurts a little when you take a breath. The coldest winter I remember was in 2006 - we went on a trip to Karkonosze Mountains on the Polish-Czech border in the south-west Poland. We took an overnight train with our friends and the inside of the coach was covered in frost - as the heating on the train wasn't working. After 12h we arrived in Borowice.  

^^ that's my younger sister. 

The temperatures were reaching -25 Celsius. We stayed in a small guest house and rented very old skies, which looked as wood panels, from a tiny hut located by a rickety ski lift. At that time I was still shooting on film.The place we stayed in was a tiny village with two guest houses and a chapel. We stayed there for a week or so. Went for long walks and did some skiing. 

This reminds me that I miss real Polish winters. Of course the one time there was a real winter in Edinburgh I was cursing the public transport and fell at least twice, hitting my bum on the frozen pavement. That's not the part I miss.

 I miss the clear blue skies, squeaky steps on fresh snow, the smell of frozen air, starry nights. Being in a quiet winter forest. I can definitely see the appeal of living in such a remote place as Alaska. Sitting in front of my log cabin, sledge dogs sleeping at my feet and a spectacle of Aurora Borealis above the lake. A girl can dream, right?  

Anyway, here are some pictures from our trip. Can't believe it was almost 8 years ago. 
 ^^ long walks in the forest.

 ^^ Kuba - such a teenager, haha

 ^^ just sitting on a massive stone, as you do.
^^ We were such kids, gosh. Time flies. 

Do you like winter? Did you secretly wish for white Christmas? 

No comments: