Seen through the artist's eyes - Turine Viet-Tu TRAN

30 August 2011


This week we are excited to begin the first series on our blog. Having been to the Edinburgh College of Art degree show, a couple of design markets and fayres, we discovered that there is a very vibrant artistic community in Edinburgh. That's why we'd love to feature some of the young designers and illustrators, and ask them a couple of questions about living in the city. 
The idea is that we will create a guide to Edinburgh as seen through the artist's eyes. 



First up is Turine Viet-Tu TRAN, an incredibly talented illustrator, originally from Vietnam. Her dreamy and imaginative illustrations brought me right back to my childhood. Here is what Turine said about her work and living in Edinburgh...

***

Maggie: Could you tell us about your work?
Turine: Through nostalgic, dreamy images, I let out the playfulness and creativity within myself. I draw in   order to see things once again the way I did as a child. Pre-occupied with books and illustration, I aim to bring people to a whimsical world where a tiny wild flower could become a fantastic wonder.

M: What inspires you?
Turine: Growing up in an old house full of dusty books, in a busy area of Saigon, Vietnam, I always have two main obsessions: picture books and nature. With illustration, I find myself in the balance of a wild world I am living in, a mixture of cultural inspirations, and the golden days of my childhood.

M: What do you find unique about Edinburgh?
Turine: People with humour, wit, and kindness are everywhere. You can easily find the vibrancy of the city, yet nature is always around. I feel as if Edinburgh has many angles and levels, and if you look from the right angles, you feel like you can capture the whole city. It's like watching a beautiful scene on a huge stage. You don't have to travel far to reach the countryside. Farms and cottages with goats, sheep, horses are just 15-20 minutes from the city's busiest area.

M: Where would you take a visitor for a walk in the city?
Turine: In the city centre: From Victoria Street to Grass Market, and continue towards Greyfriars. Out of city centre (my daily walk): a quiet road behind Tower Kennels, looking down over Braid Hill.

M: Favorite cafe?
Turine: Forest Cafe (map).

M: Where would yo go for lunch with friends?
Turine: I don't often go out for lunch with friends, just a sandwich from any coffee shop nearby the Art College, but if I do want to treat myself and 1 or 2 friends, definitely a late lunch at Maison Bleue on Victoria St (map).







***

Thank you so much Turine for taking part in our feautre. 
You can find more of Turine's artwork including book illustrations and sketches at her website.



* All illustrations © 2011 Turine TRAN - All Rights Reserved




No comments: